Monday, May 04, 2009

Tim Gunn "Prom-phobic."


Photo: Prom Bombs

Having just returned from a trip to the "menswear" shop to have James fitted for a "classic black" tux for this weekend's prom, I was delighted to discover this gem in the mailbox:

In a recent survey conducted for the Savannah College of Art and Design's annual Scad Style report, Tim Gunn offers up this bit of prom fashion insight:

“I’m prom-phobic. In fact, I’ve had a profound aversion to proms for as long as I can remember. Some people believe that my phobia is discredited by the fact that I’ve never attended a prom. I don’t need to! And regarding my aversion, I won’t even get into the odd societal aspects of prommery. I’ll stick with the fashion aspects: most prom dresses aren’t even remotely “fashion.” Rather, they’re costumes. Care to debate it? Then ask yourself, “Where else can I wear this prom dress?” Furthermore, why do teenage girls dress to look twice their age? Finally, why do teen men choose to attend a prom wearing anything other than a classic black tuxedo? But a tux becomes a costume, too, when it’s worn with sneakers or flip-flops or it’s without a shirt. If I want to date a clown, I’ll go to the circus. So, my view on proms is the same today as it was a zillion years ago: I wouldn’t change a thing in my rewind. And if I sound like an old fuddy-duddy, I am. I guess I was born ‘old.’ “