Friday, September 14, 2012

BPR Interview with Gunnar Deatherage



Project Runway Season 10 designer, Gunnar Deatherage talks about his experience on the show.

A highlight:

BPR: Of course we have seen your collection, it was a complete surprise. 

Is there any specific connection to these tribal influences? 

GD: I met someone just before I left for the show, and I had no idea if he would even be waiting for me...but as it turned out, I came home and there he was. He was studying Australian culture and tribal culture and it was very easy for me to jump on board and just be inspired by the tribal vibe. 

I got a lot of comments about how unexpected this collection was from me. I mean it was probably the most surprising of any of our collections. That's what we are supposed to do as designers. If I would have created ten looks that you had already seen, but in different colors and textiles, it wouldn't have been fun for you guys to see, so the more that I branch out and propel myself forward, the more exciting it is to watch. 

BPR: Is this the same collection you would have made if you were a finalist? 

GD: No. 

BPR: So you really took the opportunity to go out on a ledge. 

GD: They can't eliminate me and they can't beat me. If I was being judged, I might have played it more safe. It would not have been as interesting. The pressure was off. I am extremely proud of this collection. I mean I am 22 years old and I didn't go to fashion school and now I have shown at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.

Click here for the full interview.

Click here to see Gunnar's Fashion Week Collection.

Thank you Gunnar!