Wednesday, August 21, 2013

BPR Interview with Sue Waller



Project Runway Season 12 designer, Sue Waller, talks about her experience on the show.

A highlight:

BPR: Your designs are fabulous and very distinctive. Is this the first time you auditioned for the show?

SW: Yes. I was a bit insane to have gotten in like I did because I kind of decided last minute to try out. I hopped into a taxi and grabbed everything that I had left after I was robbed a few months ago...I was mugged and had everything stolen from me in the street....I showed up about 12 minutes before the end of the auditions. 

 All of the other designers were waiting with their rolling racks and they had already been through some initial screenings. Some of the girls said that they really liked my designs. I don't have a lot of interaction with other designers. I have been living and working in the south of France - very isolated - so I really appreciated that. 

Anyway, after we met the judges and had our interviews, at one point, someone said, "Sue, number 80, you are moving forward. The rest of you, thank you very much." I realized that some of them had tried out 3, 4, 5, or even 10 times. Some had created collections just for the casting.. I was very shocked that I was selected. 

 I realize that I did not fit into the usual mold. I was pretty much in the dark about what the show was about and how it worked. 

  Click here for the full interview.

Click here to see more of her designs.

Click here to visit Sue's website.

Thank you Sue!