Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Nina Garcia's Look Book - Perfect Gift

I have had the latest book by Nina Garcia (Nina Garcia's Look Book) on my night stand since it arrived from Amazon. In fact, all Nina's previous books, The Style Strategy, The Little Black Book of Style and The One Hundred, have a home next to my bed. Not only do I love the illustrations in her current effort (Ruben Toledo, as in all of her books) but I feel that Nina has fabulous wisdom about what looks both fresh and yet timelessly effortless in fashion for nearly every situation.

Nina tells us in this essential reference how to dress for a myriad of occasions from a job interview to a first date to a wedding to meeting the parents of your intended. Who hasn't agonized over such decisions? And best of all it is written in Nina's voice as she urges us to bring confidence to our decisions; who wouldn't feel that way when when one knows that the Fashion Director of Marie Claire and Project Runway judge has suggested one's look?

It is no surprise to me that I find Nina Garcia's Look Book charming. What did startle me was how many people I could think that would really value this book as a present. It would make a lovely hostess gift, birthday gift but most of all it would be a valued gift for a college graduate (the latter perhaps coupled with a gift card to Banana Republic or J. Crew.) And while you're giving, don't forget to receive a copy yourself.