Friday, December 07, 2012

BPR Interview with Althea Harper



Project Runway All-Star designer, Althea Harper talks about her experience on the show.

A highlight:

BPR:  Some of the designers really struggled, and your design seemed to be just what you wanted.  If you could go back, would you change anything?

AH:  No.  Not really.  The flaps that hung down at the sides were actually very different when we left the workroom.  During transport to the runway, the flaps somehow came undone.  That was not how they were supposed to be.  I was a little disappointed because there were other occasions when designers were allowed to repair garments, but I approached the producers and asked if I could and I was turned down.


I did not feel that was fair.  But ultimately at the end of the day, I could see the writing on the wall.  The judges had certain favorites.  Even if I had survived this challenge, I might have lasted only another week or two.


I did not feel that way during season 6.  I didn't feel that I had to bring a certain "character" or "drama" to the set, but for All-Stars it was evident that the producers and judges were looking for characters.  


I am not a character.  I am a designer!  


I am not going to act a certain way just to bring more drama to the screen.  


Click here for the full interview.

Click here to visit Althea's website.

Thank you Althea!