Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A New Interview with Gunnar Deatherage from Sewn Studio


Gunnar certainly gained fans during last week's episode.  What a sweetheart!

Sewn Studio has posted a new interview with the designer.  

A highlight:

SS:  Some other people didn’t really know how to relate to the clients as well. Do you think there is a disconnect with that in people who are in school for high fashion? 

GD:  This will come off snarky, but this is the way I feel. I think you can buy an education to learn how to sew. But I don’t think that you can buy an education to learn how to design, that has to come natural. I was the only one on there (this season) that never went to school for it, I was also the youngest one. And the difference between the people that are struggling to pay to go to school and I is that, I think that you don’t have to fake it and you don’t have to refer to a textbook. You have complete creative freedom. 

So that’s something I’m thankful for, that I didn’t go to school for it, because everything I learned and everything I make is another step in my journey. So some people just don’t know how to deal with people. And I feel like some people are very book smart and some people are very street smart and those true colors showed last night.

Click here for the full interview.