Monday, October 24, 2011

Project Runway's Alison Kelly Releases "The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook"

Project Runway season 3 designer, Alison Kelly has co-authored a sewing book for diy fashion fans.

"The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook" contains fully customizable patterns for a coat, dress, skirt, blouse and bag. Examples of variations of the designs are presented in the book from BurdaStyle.com members from around the world. It's really inspiring!



The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook is scheduled for release on November 1st. Click here to pre-order on Amazon.



BPR: How did you first become involved with BurdaStyle?


AK: Since 2008 I have been working part-time as Creative Director and Editor of BurdaStyle.com. This unique position fulfills my undying love for DIY fashion and sewing, reminding me of why I started designing in the first place, while providing a creative platform to play with design ideas.

As co-author and creative director of the BSHB, as well as writing the book in the 'voice' of BurdaStyle, I designed the 5 paper sewing patterns included in the book, and was responsible for overseeing various aspects such as: choosing the contributing designers, sourcing fabrics and trim, planning photo shoots, casting models, styling the final looks, working with the technical writer and designer, and juggling myriad revisions from the editor!



BPR: How long have you been working on the book?


AK: A year and a half.


BPR: Which is your favorite project from the book?


AK: It's like choosing a favorite child-- but I'd have to say the skirt, because while the pattern is deceivingly simple, you can enhance the design by choosing an interesting fabric combo, like nude lace with a scalloped edge over a black silk lining.




BPR: How has your career benefited from your appearance on Project Runway?


AK: This question comes up a lot and the answer is always the same-- it has benefited greatly and I also believe it's what you make of it. Not winning garnered a lot of support which has turned out to be an advantage. I've ended up working on many exciting projects because of my appearance on the show. I've been designing my clothing line, Dahl, ever since, doing wholesale and custom orders. Today people still buy the black crocheted top I wore on the show from my website. I can tell where our season is airing around the world by looking at my website stats-- all of a sudden there will be a bunch of traffic from Chile or Sweden, it's great.

Click here to continue.