Friday, March 06, 2009

Heidi Klum on the April Cover of Ladies Home Journal



New York, NY -- Here are some excerpts from the April LHJ interview with Heidi Klum -

About her less-than-fancy upbringing: “We didn’t have the money to go to the big shops, so we had to be inventive to look trendy. It was always fun, never boring.”

Her hoarding habit: “I have every one of my airplane boarding passes. Growing up, we would never throw away anything, like a shoe box or a toilet paper roll. We would always make something out of it.” Then she whips out some leftover fabric from her purse and folds it into different shapes. “My mom would make me clothes, then a matching outfit for my Barbies, then a scrunchy for my hair.”

About Seal’s wish to be on Dancing with the Stars: “I told him, ‘But Schatzi [sweetheart], they won’t let us dance together.’”

About her second marriage to Seal in Costa Careyes, Mexico: “It’s too sad to have only one wedding day to remember for the rest of our lives. It’s a good excuse to get all of our friends together and have a party.”

How she learned about the business: She was 18 when she entered a beauty contest and beat out an estimated 30,000 other girls to win $300,000 and a three-year modeling contract. “They wanted me to sign the contract immediately,” says Klum, but her father, Gunther and his attorney purged the agreement of tangled loopholes. “That hardened me up to the business. They want to keep the buck in their own pants. And you’re the one running around, doing all the work.”