Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Season Three Progress Report

We have seen five episodes of season three. Five challenges, five winners and six departed designers. What has been great about this season? What do you love and enjoy? What have been your favorite moments? What don't you like? What worries you? What keeps you watching? What is the best thing about Project Runway? If you had to give this season a grade and it was progress report time, what grade would you give it?

I'll start. Okay, one thing that I like about this season is that we have five different winners. I might not have agreed with every choice (I think the first one should have gone to Robert) but at least they are recognizing different designers. Also, the talent and skill here is remarkable. I am amazed at the ability of these designers to create these outfits from scratch in such a short time.

One thing I don't like is that several of the contestants were obviously out of their league. It saddens me to think of all of the people who tried out for the show and didn't make it when these did. I almost think there should be a "qualifying exam" where the entrants must demonstrate knowledge of the industrial machines used at Parsons. What chance do they have if they don't know the machines? Really?

I have three favorite moments: The first was Kayne's win, the second was Tim arriving with the dogs and the third, of course, was Michael's win.

Altogether I think it has been a great season so far and it is only going to get better. As the field narrows we will be able to see more from each designer. I don't like the sabotage and bickering - unless it's really witty... :)