Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A BPR Reader's Malan Breton Story

The tale of the little black dress.
By Maddie (Made possible by Malan Breton and readers like you)

It was a hot day in mid-May when I journeyed to the East Village in New York City. I was giddy and giggling despite the sweltering Tuesday afternoon. You see, I was coming in for a very special visit with my darling friend and fellow glamour-puss, Malan Breton. A few days before I discovered Malan auctioning off the most precious little-black-dress which would be perfect for my summer trip to Venice, Italy.
I immediately called him and and politely asked (begged) for the fabulous frock. Being the darling he is, he agreed to let me have it. We arranged a time for a fitting and I came in. We greeted each other with hugs and kisses and Malan got to work. He had made a sort of rough-copy of the dress and fitted it to my body. I must say, Malan is an absolute master of his craft (“Did I prick you?” “Nope.”). He handled the dress with extreme care as well as the champagne sash and in a very short time, completed the outfit. We packed it up in some garment bags and then wandered around aimlessly until we found a cab to take me back to the train and him home.


Well, since then, the dress has had quite an adventure. It survived hours on airplanes to Italy, beach parties at the Lido and fun wanderings around Piazza San Marco at night. I never felt more fabulous or stylish in my life. I love that dress to death and I will wear it every chance I get.