Friday, August 14, 2009

BPR Interview with Althea Harper

Photo: Rachel Cohen

BPR Field Reporter Jes Switaj returns with Project Runway Season Six designer Althea Harper. Thanks Jes!


BPR - How was your overall experience on the show different from what you imagined it would be like?

AH - I went on the show right after I finished college. I hadn’t seen it much so I didn’t have expectations, but it was really difficult. Project Runway is more grueling than college and work together. I thought I saw how hard it could be and then it got harder.

BPR - Which of the head judges do you feel offered the most useful feedback?

AH - Each judge brings a special element. Heidi is “the consumer.” Nina is very editorial and always thinking about what would sell and appeal to the magazines and what is actually in fashion. Michael can give you advice based on having been at the start of the same career as you are. I think he can relate the best, since he’s been there.

BPR - Did you find that you diluted your personal style in any way in order to cater to the judges’ taste?

AH - I think that was one of the things that was the hardest on the show. I would say I did a little bit, because the big goal is just get to fashion week. Not a lot though, never where I had to completely compromise my own style.

BPR - Do you feel that you made / will remain friends with the majority of the designers you competed with?

AH - It was hard for me because you HAD to be friends, because you can’t talk to anyone else (friends, family) but there’s always an air of competition around. I don’t think I opened up like I normally would. There are definitely a couple people I’ll stay in touch with. I think I’ve become better friends with them after and outside the show.

BPR - What message would you like to relay to the viewers, in anticipation of the premiere?

AH -Expect DRAMA! There are a lot of big personalities on the show and it’s going to be a very dramatic season!